Angel Mounds State Historic Site is a pre-contact Native American site located on the banks of the Ohio River and is one of the best preserved of its kind in North America. It gets it’s name from the 11 earthen mounds that were built in the original town, consisting of 103 acres and occupied by approximately 1,000 people between the years A.D. 1000 and 1450. The Native American peoples who occupied this town are known as the Mississippians – they abandoned the site prior to the European settlers arriving in the area.
The historic site consists of over 600 acres and includes a nature preserve, archaeology laboratory, interpretive center and various other recreational buildings. It has been owned by the State of Indiana since 1946 and is a popular tourist attraction for those visiting the Evansville-Newburgh area. To learn more about the area click here.
Next up: Bosse Field